More Power to Shoot Down Drones Over Bases Urged by US General

Feb. 13, 2025, 9:09 PM UTC

The US commander of North American defenses says he’d like all bases to have the authority to shoot down drones that are judged a threat instead of only the most sensitive installations.

“I would propose and advocate” for expansion of the existing authority beyond the roughly half of bases that now have that power, General Gregory Guillot, head of US Northern Command, told the Senate Armed Services Committee Thursday. An expansion would require revising legislation that sets criteria for bases that can take action against drones.

Last year there were 350 drone detections at 100 installations, he said, without specifying ...

Learn more about Bloomberg Government or Log In to keep reading:

See Breaking News in Context

Providing news, analysis, data and opportunity insights.

Already a subscriber?

Log in to keep reading or access research tools and resources.